The americans celebrated Fouth of July with a win!
It is Fourth of July, a big day for many americans all over the world. The B15 team SF CalHeat celebrated the national day by winning their first game in the Partille Cup.
Before the last group stage game, SF CalHeat had a draw (against Frogner IL from Norway) and three defeats. The long-awaited first win came against India Birla Pilani. The team from San Jose in sunny California won the game at Kviberg 12 with 17 goals to 13.
– I was confident that we would win. We won for our country, says Connor Elliott.
The win could not have come on a more appropriate day.
– Fourth of July is a great day for us. On the national day, many people gather and celebrate together, says the 15-year-old.
It is a little different for them to be in Gothenburg on the fourth of July.
– We celebrate by playing handball. We like Partille Cup! We have a lot of fun. It’s a good experience for us and different from home, says Connor Elliott.
Handball is not a big sport in the US. In fact, they play in the huge country’s only junior league.
– But more people are beginning to know about and play the sport and we have a tournament called the California Cup. We hope handball will grow in USA, he says.
They are not used to weather like this.
– It’s very cold, haha. It’s not like in California. But it is no worries, we manages, he says.
He is a hockey fan and does of course know much about the NHL team San Jose Sharks swedish superstar Erik Karlsson. But Connor Elliott did not know that he had his breakthrough in Gothenburg, while playing for the swedish champions Frölunda.
– Really? That’s cool! he says.
The victory and the national day were celebrated with food, snacks and music. He hopes that this won’t be the first and only time he participates in the Partille Cup.
– I definitely want to come back next year, says Connor Elliott with a smile.
Text: Eric Nilsson
Photo: Klara Vasell