Herkules became historic winners in the Partille Cup: "It's unique"
This year, Herkules became the first team from Brazil ever to win the Partille Cup.
Since 1976, Brazilian teams have participated in the Partille Cup.
This year, a team from Brazil won the world's biggest youth handball tournament for the first time.
– We have the best feeling in the world, says the happy goalkeeper Joao Pedro Bartholomei Guasti.
Amazing scenes unfolded at Heden 2 as Herkules B15 team won the final of the Partille Cup 2022. The hugs and celebrations never stopped after the final whistle. Brazilian players, managers and parents were all over the moon.
– It's unique! It's truly unique that a team from South America wins the Partille Cup, says the leader Alexandre Zuza after the victory over Täby Handboll 1 from Sweden.
Joao Pedro Bartholomei Guasti was extremely proud.
– We have the best feeling in the world. This is the most famous handball tournament and we won it, says the goalkeeper.
Herkules was formed as late as 2015.
– We're a fairly new but very good club. It's the best club in the world, without question, says Joao Pedro Bartholomei Guasti.
His teammate Nicolas Lima Mariani initially found it difficult to find the right words.
– I'm speechless. I have no words for this and can't even believe we won yet. It's fantastic. It's the biggest title in our lives, says the 15-year-old.
It was not difficult to understand how much the victory means to the whole club.
– We have had major financial problems. It was very expensive to go here, to the other side of the world. We saved money for three years to be able to come here. We fought, we got here and we won. Of course it was worth it! I'm very happy, everyone is very happy, says Nicolas Lima Mariani.
They celebrated in Gothenburg and they celebrated the title even more when they returned home to Brazil.
– We will have a lot of fun together. We will plan a big party, says the talented player.
Nicolas Lima Mariani tells us that they took a liking to Gothenburg.
– I love the city. We have done sightseeing and it is very beautiful here, says the 15-year-old.
A Brazilian girls' team participated in the Partille Cup as early as 1976. Since then, hundreds of teams from Brazil have participated in the tournament. But before this year, no team had stood as the final winner. Hercules changed that - and wrote himself into the history books.
– It's huge. In addition, Herkules contributed with a very good atmosphere, says Fredrik Andersson, general secretary of the Partille Cup.