Sweden bronze medalists in EOC: "The spectators has been magical"
Sweden won the bronze medal match over Switzerland with 31-28 after a solid performance in front of more than 1 200 fans in Scandinavium.
Viggo Håkansson, 209 centimeters tall, was fantastic in goal. In the first half, he kept a clean sheet for eleven (!) minutes. Afterwards, he pays tribute to the crowd that supported the Swedish team.
– The spectators has been magical, says Viggo Håkansson, who was selected as the best goalkeeper in the tournament.
The goalkeeper from Ystads IF was extremely difficult to score on in the first half. From minute four to 15, he shut the goal completely. During the same period, Sweden scored seven goals. Switzerland came a bit closer, but Sweden eventually won by three goals and the bronze.
– I thought we played really good defense in the first half. In the second half, it felt like we weren't quite as focused as at the beginning, but we still did well and cleaned up this match, says Viggo Håkansson.
Ystads IF's goalkeeper is of course happy with his own performance, but is also very humble.
– I had very good help from the defense, I must say. It was easy to read the game considering that the defense was right in every situation. But I'm absolutely satisfied with my performance, he says.
He appreciates the crowd support that the Swedish team received in every match during the week.
– The spectators has been magical. To be able to play in Scandinavium with many Swedes and many young people here is absolutely wonderful.
Recently, he won the Swedish Youth Championship.
– It has been a good season. We have won almost everything with Ystads IF and to get a bronze with the national team is absolutely wonderful.
His brother Ebbe plays in HK Malmö. But Ebbe is "only" 203 centimeters tall.
– I'm 209 centimeters tall. The brother is really short compared to me, says Viggo with a laugh.
He feels that he benefits from his height.
– Yes, definitely. I myself feel that I can cover large areas. I'll be big when I get out.
The 17-year-old dreams of becoming a professional abroad.
– I want to be as good as possible and come out and play in the biggest tournaments and leagues.
How will you celebrate the bronze?
– We will eat at McDonalds and take a shower. Then we have one night left at Gothia Towers before we go home, says the talent.