European Open Championship has started
The national team tournament European Open Championship for girls aged 16 kicked off on Monday morning with a meeting between Romania and Slovenia.
Romania was the better team and won comfortably with 26-16 at Valhalla. Slovenia started strong and had an early 3-1 lead after three goals by the talented player Tea Pogorelc. But then Romania increased the pace and controlled the game. Then they had the lead with nine goals to four. Slovenia never managed to come back. Romania's number eight, Teodora Damian, was the best player of the match. She scored six goals in the first half and two more in the second, despite tough marking. Romania led 13-8 at the break and eventually won by 26 goals to 16.
– It was a good match for us. It was the first match of the tournament and I am happy that we were able to play a good match, says Teodora Damian.
She is happy with her eight goals.
– Of course I'm happy about that. But I'm more happy that we won the match. I hope we can continue in this way, says the 15-year-old.
Normally, she represents Turda. She has played in the national team for about four years and is usually the team's top scorer.
– I always work hard and always do my best in every game. I want to be the best player in the world. My role model is of course Cristina Neagu from my home country! says Teodora Damian.
This is the first time she visits Gothenburg.
– The environment here is fantastic. I've never played here before but I like it so much. Partille Cup is a good opportunity for us to become strong as a team and play more matches together. I'm so happy to be here, she says.
The talent and her teammates have big goals in the European Open Championship.
– I hope that we win the tournament. Our goal is to finish at first place. Maybe we can be the best, I would like that, says Teodora Damian.
Now we look forward to more exciting games between the 17 nations in the EOC!
Text: Eric Nilsson
Photo: Rebecka Carrasco