Players and coaches in Odtü GVO develop by participating in PWC
The school team Odtü GVO from Ankara in Turkey loved the experience in Gothenburg last year. They will come back to Partille World Cup with two teams this summer.
The coach and teacher Ozan Ates thinks that the tournament gives a lot to the players – both on and off the field.
– Students have the opportunity to meet different students from all over the world, make friends and establish permanent relationships, he says.
Ozan Ates is a former national team player himself.
– I’ve been working as a physical education teacher and handball coach in private schools in Turkey for 16 years. Throughout my working life, I have worked in the largest private schools in Turkey. Together with TED Ankara College, we have participated in Partille World Cup three times before, and last year, for the first time, I brought the school team of the school where I have been working for the last seven years to Partille Cup. We’re called Odtü GVO. This year, we will take part in the tournament with two teams and four teachers from our school. Our school is very supportive of such overseas sporting and social activities and in recent years our handball teams have been very successful at national level. I will do my best to bring our teams to Partille World Cup every year, because the tournament is great, he says.
What do you like about Partille World Cup and what do you think it means for the players to participate in the tournament?
– Partille World Cup is a great tournament for us teachers and students to play handball and communicate with people from all over the world. It makes a great contribution to the development of our students' sportive skills and to the development of our teachers/coaches' knowledge and skills. Because handball is a developing sport in our country, and we believe that we can be successful as a country that can take part of the world stage very soon because we have been investing in this for a while, says Ozan Ates.
– Our students have the opportunity to meet different students from all over the world, make friends and establish permanent relationships. In addition to all these, our school's vision is "To play a pioneering and distinctive role among national and international school communities" and in this context, we want to take part in such international events on behalf of our students and be successful.
This summer, Odtü GVO will participate in the B14 and B16 categories in Partille World Cup.
– Our B16 team took part in the tournament last year and the tournament champion came out of our group, so our goal with our B16 team this year is to be in the top three rankings in the A-playoffs. However, our B14 team will participate in the tournament for the first time this year, but that team is very successful in the national arena. Therefore, our goal with this team is to take part in the A-playoffs, says Ozan Ates.